Tuesday, June 12, 2012

6 Summer Pop Songs for Your 'Call Me Maybe' Playlist


Conversely, you may also choose to look at this short list as a brief selection of "things you can listen to that are not Carly Rae Jepsen that will chase the song out of your head when and if you ever grow tired of it."  I came around to "Call Me Maybe" awhile ago after initially giving it a chilly, meh reception, but the more I hear it the more I'm starting to hear Kelly Clarkson and something about that strikes a return to the bland note for me.  The string hit just doesn't bring it hard enough in the energy department, and thus, though much of my listening lately has been largely pure punk, random 80's business (Bad Brains, X-Ray Spex, Strawberry Switchblade, Husker Du), Sleigh Bells, and, oddly, Metallica's "Orion" (I don't know how that happened, actually), I AM HERE TO BRING YOU OTHER NEWISH POP THINGS YOU MAY BE RECEPTIVE TO NOW THAT YOU'RE FEELING THE POPTIMISM.  Here they are:

1. ICONA POP, "I LOVE IT" 
It's Swedish, brash, loud, and perfect for jumping about. Embrace it.

2. RYE RYE, "BOOM BOOM" 
Yes, it uses that Venga Boys song.  You'll just have to deal with the sugar rush, ok?  Enjoy it while it lasts.


3. CATCALL, "THE WORLD IS OURS" 
Unlike Rye Rye, Catcall toes the line between respectably indie and radio-friendly big sound pop.  It has count chanting and guitars and talk of love and being true and all of the stuff that you secretly like a lot.

4. LITTLE BOOTS, "HEADPHONES"  
Little Boots is back, and while I have absolutely no idea what's going on with her hair in this video, I suspect you may get the chorus hooked into your brain just a little bit, yeah?

5. OH MY!, "DIRTY DANCER" 
 I've featured this before as a song that at first seems like no big deal and then somehow becomes gains a weird musical charisma the more you recall its big, Patrick Swayze-filled chorus.

6. ONE DIRECTION, "WHAT MAKES YOU BEAUTIFUL"
This list needed a taste of the boy band resurgence, right?  I'm not saying I like it, but, uh, you know, you might since you like "Call Me Maybe" so much and stuff.  This went over at the last wedding I attended like gangbusters, yo.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I just arrived here through a Google image search and ended up loving your posts! I didn't know most of these songs, but I really liked "Dirty Dancer". I'm going to look more songs from those two girls. ;)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails