Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Review: Moneyball

Photobucket
“It’s hard not to romanticize baseball.”   Or, so says Billy Beane (Brad Pitt) at a couple key moments in Moneyball.   Though in context I could see what he was getting at, and for many people this appears to be quite true, I have to admit: it’s damn easy for me not to romanticize baseball.   You may be able to romanticize the players or the fans, the upset of not winning or the pain of coming so close, but that’s not unique to the game.  And, I mean, the game?  Call me un-American or whatever but, oh man, how loudly would you like to hear me snore?  Needless to say: I’m not a sports person.   I've never read Michael Lewis's book, can't fathom a reality in which I'd pick it up, have no recollection of the Oakland A’s 20-game win streak in 2002, didn’t recognize the names of any of the players mentioned in the film, and can only tell you that at some point in the last decade the Boston Red Sox won the World Series.  I remember that...


finish this review at

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails