Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Trailer: Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

After the red-band trailer for David Fincher's take on Steig Larsson's international bestseller The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo leaked the other day, it was only a matter of time before we had an official theatrical teaser.  That time is now.  The teaser?  Literal.  It's one big mashed-up montage of images that feel simultaneously fresh and yet completely ripped from the Swedish originals.  Things I like: the driving pace of the trailer action, the Karen O. and Trent Reznor cover of "Immigrant Song", Rooney Mara's look as Lisbeth Salander, the cold aesthetic, the improved titular tattoo, and the tagline: "the feel bad movie of Christmas."  Things that make me pretty uncomfortable: the ongoing sexualization of Rooney Mara as Lisbeth in the promotional material and photo spreads thus far.  For all of the book's flaws (and we know I feel that there are many.  Again: I'm of the belief that these are those rare instances when the stories make better films than novels), it does succeed in making Lisbeth sexual, but consciously fighting objectification.  Posters like the one above?  Call me crazy, but it's selling some nudity when what the film offers (spoiler?) is brutal rape, revenge, and sexual violence.  In real life, that character would not be alright with that shot.

That aside, I'm looking forward to the film with the usual Fincher anticipation.  The director has yet to really disappoint me, so consider my ticket already purchased.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails