Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Photo Lab: Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss Everdeen

Entertainment Weekly released this cover shot today.  It's the first official image of Winter's Bone actress Jennifer Lawrence as our teenage huntress in The Hunger Games.  The up-until-recently blonde starlet is making this work better than expected, I think.  While I still pictured Katniss as more along the lines of new Miu Miu muse Hailee Steinfeld, this might just work.

I know you're probably sick of hearing about the series already, but I'm pretty hopeful about the film adaptations.  The books aren't fantastically well written, nor are they as indisputably classic as the Harry Potter series already is.  They are, however, entertaining and rather vicious, not afraid to kill off likable characters or let their heroes suffer a bit. My big hope, though, is that The Hunger Games will be the antidote to the truly damaging Twilight series.  Katniss is the opposite of Bella, and we need a strong film and literary heroine that can take care of business without locking herself away to swoon for three months.  I've still got my doubts on some of the casting, but sometimes a group of virtual unknowns can work out for the best (um, Daniel Radcliffe, I hear you're richer than Prince William, true?).

2 comments:

  1. She looks awesome as Katniss and will likely nail it dramatically. My qualm is this. At 18 years she's at the top of the age range to play the part, and while it's easy to suspend the disbelief now, what happens if this thing is a hit and she's trying to still play a teenager for MOCKINGJAY at 25?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you, I think I mentioned this in an earlier post. She's definitely a tad too old.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails