Thursday, January 20, 2011

Review: Somewhere

I'm in a bad place with Sofia Coppola's spectacularly tedious, is it poetry or is it navel gazing Somewhere. I just don't know what to do. I'm a Coppola fan, no doubt, I've spent too much time rallying to get folks to appreciate the elaborate tableaux of Marie Antoinette and jumped fully onto the Lost in Translation bandwagon...but Somewhere? Honestly, while I was watching it I actually brought out my little notebook and began making a list of all the things I needed to get finished later in the day. Which is to say: Somewhere? I guess I'd rather have been elsewhere. Yet, I can see its positive bits as well. The unflinching devotion to creating a study in populated loneliness. The commitment to making the protagonist's tedium our tedium. The photography. All that jazz....
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails