Monday, December 13, 2010

Trailer: Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides


The trailer for the fourth installment of Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean franchise has been released.  This is the UK cut with an odd character introduction by Captain Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp), but what you will find after his little ocean view chat is much of the same old-same old.  In On Stranger Tides, Jack goes in search of the Fountain of Youth and experiences bantering swordplay with a feisty old love (Penelope Cruz). 

If you're like me, you're wondering why we need yet another Pirates film.  After all, as much as I like the first one (which is admittedly quite a lot), the second one was a rambling bore and the third one was just sort of meh.  The short answer, I think, is because they still rake in the cash and because I'm pretty sure Johnny Depp would still make them even if no one were watching.  I'll admit, with a little bit of distance between now and the last sequel, I'm slightly more open to the idea of another film than I would have been back in 2007.  Bringing Penelope Cruz on board is a plus, eliminating excess plot lines featuring Elizabeth Swann (Keira Knightley) and Will Turner (Orlando Bloom) might also be a fresh step in the right direction.  No matter what happens, as someone who wore an "I ♥  Jack Sparrow" t-shirt through my freshman year of college, I feel sort of obligated to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails