Sunday, December 26, 2010

Review: True Grit


I'm not amongst those who are perhaps most qualified to discuss True Grit's transition from novel to John Wayne film to Coen Brothers film.  I've read the Charles Portis book, sure, it's one of only two true to genre "western" novels I can recall opening (the other, a seventh grade requirement, was Shane), but it didn't speak to me.  To make matters worse, I haven't seen John Wayne's performance as Rooster Cogburn in 1969's True Grit or 1975's Rooster Cogburn, and will confess that this is likely for the better.  Hell, I mean, I can't even pretend to have ever had a real desire to watch either of those Hollywood semi-classics.  My grave American sacrilege is this:  I simply do not care for 'The Duke', nor do I particularly care for the old notion of the Western as a genre.  That's right. Scalp me here....

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails