Friday, November 12, 2010

The Trivial Pursuit: November 12th Edition

Man, this week was boring.  How am I supposed to talk about gossipy stuff with so little gossipy stuff to work with?  Obviously, the most important contribution to pop culture this week was probably last night's "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon" duet of "Just a Friend" with Biz Markie and Jeff Goldblum.  I shouldn't have to enumerate the reasons why this is awesome.  It clearly just is. 



*The Hollywood Reporter posted this oh-so-scientific compare/contrast list designed to list the differences in the television viewing habits of democrats and republicans.  What it succeeds in doing is just proving that everyone watches TV, and a lot of hardcore republicans are indeed the same senior citizens who watch CBS at all hours of the day.  Other things I have determined from this data: based on TV habits, I'm a liberal and not an independent, republicans are cooler with the gay parenting on Modern Family than the dems, democrats are more into Texas high school football, backstabbing corporate law, and Beverly Hills excess than the conservatives.  Basically, I'm not learning anything here.  Hey hey.  Science!  [via THR]



*Heidi Klum boldly wore Project Runway runner-up Mondo Guerra’s hotly contested polka dot dress (sleeveless this time), thus proving that it could indeed be done without a raised eyebrow.  Take that Michael & Nina.  [Photo Credit: getty, wireimage]




*A magical, mystery shortlist of actresses who may be under consideration for the next Christopher Nolan Batman film, Dark Knight Rises, has been released.  Rumor has it the ladies are in contention for two roles: a love interest and a villain.  Personally, I don’t give a damn about the love interest, but the female villain bit has me thoroughly intrigued.   Is it time to bring in Catwoman?  Do we get psychotic Harley Quinn?  I’m doubting Poison Ivy, but /Film rightly points to the Talia al Ghul possibility.  Anyway, the actresses: Rachel Weisz, Naomi Watts, Blake Lively, Natalie Portman, Anne Hathaway, and Keira Knightley.  Alright, seriously, is Blake Lively up for every role in Hollywood?  God, Anna Wintour, stop trying to make her happen.  [Source]



* Jason Segal’s upcoming Muppet movie revealed an insane amount of casting news this week.  While we already knew that Segal (Forgetting Sarah Marshall) himself was set to star with Amy Adams as a love interest and Chris Cooper as a villain, we’ve now learned that the supporting/cameo spots will be filled by the likes of Zach Galifianakis, Paul Rudd, Jane Lynch, Community’s hilarious Donald Glover (!), Ed Helms, John Krasinski, Jack Black, Modern Family Emmy winner Eric Stonestreet and….wait for it….the Muppet pelt-wearer herself: Lady Gaga.  Click click boom.  Seriously, I can’t wait to see this.   [source]




*Robert Downey Jr. is Mr. Peanut.

*Shiloh Jolie-Pitt has a thing for dead animals. Mum Angelina is quoted in the December issue of Vogue with this tidbit:
“ “Shiloh found a dead bird, so she came in and said, ‘Can I have a dead pet?’ And I’m . . . ‘Uh-uh, I don’t think it’s healthy, honey. I think they have to put him in a box,’ and I had to run out to find, like, a taxidermy bird. I just worked it out for her.” Did Shiloh know about taxidermy? “No. But I figured that I couldn’t keep the actual dead bird from the yard, so I swayed her toward one that had been cleaned, at least.”” [via Vogue]
Ahem.  Shiloh, people will talk, just ignore them. When you’re older and whipping out a camera at interesting carcasses, they still talk. I’m sorry, people, but there is something quite interesting about the decomposition of a stone-dead squirrel...



*In a really odd bit of tie-in merchandising, the Kardashian’s have released a prepaid MasterCard designed to help y’all manage money.  Yes, it has their faces on it.  I think this is a really good way to control spending because, if you're like me, having a Kardashian card would shame you into never buying anything.  I seriously would be mortified if I threw down a debit card with Kim Kardashian's face on it in a store.  Yikes.







2 comments:

  1. maybe this is my own latent comic book nerd misogyny sneaking up on me, but i don't think any of batman's female villains fit into nolan's realistic universe, at least not as a main antagonist. poison ivy's too unrealistic, talia and catwoman aren't really antagonists in a proper sense, and harley quinn is boring w/o her relationship to the joker. i'm hoping for bane, but worried it'll be hush.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually think it could work. Catwoman wouldn't be a primary antagonist in this version, I believe. She'd need a film or two to develop as a more complex character than that. Harley Quinn rewritten could be seriously warped.

    These were the thoughts I wrote back a million years ago. Some opinions have changed, but you get the general idea: http://popcandyarcade.blogspot.com/2008/08/we-can-probably-all-agree-that.html

    (I still wish Eva Green was on this list)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails