Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Review: Due Date

Last year, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed The Hangover.  Prior to its release I'd thought it looked decent in spite of myself.  Lets face it, in early 2009, Zach Galifianakis was essentially a no name outside of the mild internet stardom afforded to him by "Between Two Ferns", Bradley Cooper was still hampered by his "that guy from Alias" reputation, and director Todd Phillips seemed to specialize in comedies with limited appeal outside the frat house.  Phillips went from Road Trip, Old School, Starsky and Hutch and School for Scoundrels to Apatow level comedic credibility with a single film.  We can probably all agree The Hangover was a tremendous success.  It was the rare comedy that was as funny to a teenage boy as it was to my Mom, and that alone is pretty major.  Now, Phillips has taken on the burden of following up The Hangover with Due Date.  On paper, I'm sure Due Date looked like the ideal project.  The triumphant return of Galifianakis fresh off his overnight A-listing and paired with the ever charismatic Robert Downey Jr. in the midst of a wild, massive streak of blockbuster successes.  Have no doubt, I was excited.  I believed, just last week, that there was no way Due Date could fail.  In some ways, it flies high.  In others, it's disappointing how flat it falls.  Pancake flat.  Squirrel tail roadkill flat.  Runway model flat...


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails