Monday, October 25, 2010

Habits I Have...



Halloween is pretty much my favorite time of year.  I get festive in my various ways.  I may not throw down loads of dollars to put severed limbs and audio animatronic "statues" in my yard, but I do a lot of celebrating.  For example: I visit the Halloween pop-up retail outlets like literally every three days for the 2-3 weeks prior to October 31st.  I have been to about 4 Halloween stores this season and, honestly, I don't even know what I'm looking for.  I just like being in the Halloween store.  Another thing I do is eat a lot more sugar than usual.  All candy becomes a free pass because I have a religious reason to consume it and that religious reason is Halloweenism.  I eat sugar like all day.  It is during this time that I have cupcakes for lunch.  Then, you see, I watch a lot of horror films.  Mostly, prior to Halloween I watch horror films I've already seen (btw: have you read the list M. and I are running on Love and Squalor?).  Then, on Halloween, I watch like a dozen ones I have not seen.  Marathon party.  Where it's at.  Also, I watch Rocky Horror.   Also, I quote Rocky Horror.  I fret about costumes I should have been planning ages ago and finally throw something together a couple days before I need to be dressed up.  The number of iTunes plays granted to Sisters of Mercy, Bauhaus, and Sam the Sham and the Pharoahs' "Little Red Riding Hood"  goes up exponentially.  I get gothy.  

My strangest personal Halloween tradition is not really a tradition but more of a compulsive thing that happens.  I can't control it.  Confronted with a blank internet window or standing in front of my closet in the morning, it just happens.  During this season, I watch the opening sequence from The Hunger like a million times.   I like The Hunger as a film, sure, but I love the first 10 minutes or so.  It's easily one of my absolute favorite film openers and I do believe that the rest of the movie has trouble maintaining the mad style/editing promised in its initial glances.   When I think of vampires, I think of the opening of The Hunger.  When I think of 'goth', I don't think of mall trolls, I think of The Hunger.  When I listen to "Bela Lugosi's Dead" (which happens often enough), I think of The Hunger.  Long before the Edward Cullens and Sookie Stackhouses of the world came into existence (well, long by like 2-3 years?), my notion of the vampire was stamped and sealed with The Hunger.  Vampires should be bloodlusting, seductive pack animals personified by David Bowie and Catherine Deneuve.  They should be dressed in black with fabulous sunglasses and lots of electric blue lighting.  These things just make sense.  That said, the opening scene of The Hunger is a great piece of work.  The cinematography is enough to keep me defending director Tony Scott through any number of flops.  It's a stylistic inspiration and, at Halloween, sets exactly the right tone for every day of my week.  I mean, if I ever actually go to a goth/industrial club and it's not just like this, I'll cry.  The illusion will be shattered.  There will be no Santa Claus.  So, of course, I had to write about my addiction here and force it on to you.  Deal.  While I was writing this I got distracted a few times by the first three minutes.  Three minutes.  They do everything.  Even the font is perfect....!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails