Friday, September 10, 2010

Felicity is no more...

American Girl is retiring ("archiving") the Felicity Merriman doll from their collection.  Felicity is the brand's Revolutionary era character and one of the last left standing from the line-up as it existed in my youth.  I don't know about you kids, but I can remember a time before the branding of American Girl became completely insane, when all I was conscious of was (at first) the books themselves.  Simpler times.  I'll admit, I quite enjoyed the books back in the day.  They were a fun way of accessing a larger history and seeing how things were for kids in times I could otherwise not quite fathom.  Samantha and Kirsten have already been retired. Molly, the 1940's character (and my personal favorite), is the only one left standing from the original gang of three.  I find this totally odd, actually, because Samantha always seemed to be the girl in favor.  I should add that I never had any of the dolls, because in my house, my parents had this TOTALLY CRAZY notion that $100 dolls were not worth it and that if it was something I really wanted, I'd do this thing called "saving my money".  Pfft.  Needless to say, in spite of all that flipping through the catalog, I guess I never wanted one that much.  The accessories, I think, were the real draw...little birthday cakes and dogs and such business.

Anyhow, there goes another part of my childhood.  So long, Felicity.  Soon, all the children will be left with are Monster High dolls...and with the joints on their knees, they'll be arthritic before long.

1 comment:

  1. of course. they got rid of the ginger.

    the nerve.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails