Tuesday, July 6, 2010

WTF? Liz Phair

I can't sit here and look back fondly upon Liz Phair's Exile in Guyville.  There's no way I can pretend that album had any impact upon my adolescence whatsoever.  I mean, I wasn't at adolescence when it was released in 1993, and when I hit that period of angsty feminist soul searching or whatever the hell the period where I was bitter and broken out was (is?), Liz Phair meant nothing to me.  If I wanted grrrl rock I looked for PJ Harvey or at least Shirley Manson or some conflicted surface observations from Hole.  There, I said it.  I mean, I recognize that there was a point in the early/mid 90's where Liz Phair was battling top 40 conventions and fighting the good fight, but Exile isn't my thing, and from my perspective Liz is always the chick who sang that song that was featured in every single romantic comedy released from 2003 to 2005 ("Why Can't I Breathe").  I hated that song, man.  I hated it.  But you know what I might hate more?  Liz Phair's new, even poppier direction: Funstyle.  

See, apparently Liz Phair up and self-released an album on her website.  You can buy it for a few bucks, but before you do, you can also preview the single "Bollywood" and admire the 'prnt scrn' makeshift cover art.  I'm not sure what's going on here, but it feels embarrassing.  There's a lot of talking.  A lot of sound effects and strange conversation.  It's like Princess Superstar and Ke$ha collaborated on a project while stoned out of their minds snacking on Pringles and wishing it were 1998...except for I think both of those ladies might be aiming a little harder at camp.  Seriously. What is going on here?  Should I be cringing as much as I am?  Phair fans, speak!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails