Thursday, July 8, 2010

Review: The Last Airbender

I am woefully unprepared to talk about this.  I mean it.  While I can judge the film as a film, I know that there's a gigantic amount of information that will be excluded simply because my exposure to the source material is limited at best.  Going into The Last Airbender, I was aware of the general outline of the animated show Avatar: The Last Airbender.  I knew there was a bald kid with a blue arrow tattooed on his head, and that he had magical powers of elemental control.  I knew that there were side characters who were slightly older and slightly taller, that there was a journey, and that people were after the bald kid.  That's it.  Mostly I just really liked Appa, the flying buffalo sort of creature who is so cute in the cartoon.  So cute.  That said, this is what I can tell you about the translation: Appa is not as cute as a CGI beastie. Ta da! M. Night Shyamalan seems to know this, and hides Appa's unnatural looking face almost every time he's on screen.  You should take this as a sign of much bigger problems.  They're there.  Based on the number of people with good taste I know who love the original cartoon, my educated guessing system tells me that it's ok for me to say, with 100% certainty, that the show is better than the movie, and that fans of the show will be hugely disappointed...

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails