Friday, July 9, 2010

Back in the Day #13: LaTour



My iPod has been a club scene lately, and everyone is coming to the party.  One of my friends informed me that my summer 2010 music tastes were aligned quite well with the gay clubs.  I would concede that this is likely quite true as this week I only set aside Uffie's "Illusion of Love" and a resurgence of the Scissor Sisters to pick up the entire Kelis album Flesh Tone and follow it with a heaping helping of our favorite pop sprite from down under: Kylie Minogue.  So, according to generalization and those in the know, my bass beat mantra this month seems to be glitter, glitter, and still more glitter with a hint of that early 90's house redux. 

In the midst of all of this, LaTour's "People Are Still Having Sex" started playing on shuffle.  In the wake of mentioning how childishly amused I am by slightly raunchy electro detritus like "Bad Babysitter", this was not something that could be easily ignored.  I'd forgotten that LaTour was on my iPod.  LaTour in general was not something I'd thought about in quite awhile.  The remembrance was, of course, pretty awesome.  "People Are Still Having Sex" was apparently a hit in 1991, but my earliest remembrance of the song was more like '98 or '99, in those crucial developmental years when a song titled "People Are Still Having Sex" was just about the funniest thing I'd ever heard.  This is one of those songs where, once you find it as an adolescent, everyone has to know.  First, you mention it to your friends.  They don't get it.  Then you play it for your friends.  Then you both play it for everyone else you know.  Or, at least, this was how it used to be.  Really, there's nothing dirty about LaTour's song.  It's just amusing in that it's essentially a sort of PSA that says the word "sex" quite a bit...which, let me remind you, makes it completely giggle worthy when you're in middle school.  What can I say?  I was very mature in some respects, but this wasn't really one of them.

Do kids still do that?  Snicker about pop innuendos?  I think they do.  I'm sure the words "disco stick" made many knowing children make that "I know what's going on here and I'm trying not to laugh" face. 

There's nothing else to say about LaTour, I just really wanted to share this with you.  It's Friday morning and you definitely needed to be reminded that "People Are Still Having Sex".          

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails