Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Seen & Heard: Interpol, Crystal Castles



Circa 2003/2004, I was certifiably obsessed with Interpol and their album Turn on the Bright Lights.  I must have listened to that album daily without the aid of visuals, music videos, or concerts.  I never even got to see them live.  Time has passed.  Carlos D. has separated from the band.  I'm no longer fully devoted to Interpol.  Yet, that kind of love can't really die, it can only be diminished by follow-up albums that feel limited in their musical development.  Turn on the Bright Lights is still a trigger album in my musical development.  All of this has little to do with the band's new video for the song "Lights".   It feels a bit like Teknolust meets Alejandro Jodorowsky; latex-clad women performing odd rituals in an austere room.  Honestly?  I don't get it.  Frame by frame it's lovely, but does it match the song?

Meanwhile, my go-to pair for 8-bit noise and screaming- Crystal Castles - have released a music video for the single "Celestica" off of their new album.  This one does match the song, and offers up the low-key side of the duo.  Alice Glass walks through a cemetery full of violin-playing children looking sullen and moderately Puritanical while the sound is like the Cocteau Twins backed by sped-up instrumentals.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails