Friday, May 21, 2010

3-in-1

It's Friday afternoon, I'm packed and waiting for a blow-off weekend, and I'm slowly writing up a new review over at Love & Squalor.  So, these tidbits, two of which are sort of undeserving of full posts in and of themselves, will have to piggyback on number 1: Robyn's new video for "Dancing on My Own".  Summer pop songs, people, summer pop songs.  I don't know about you, but when it starts getting warmer the electronically influenced tracks in my music library start building up higher and higher play counts.  "Dancing on My Own" was supposedly inspired by the singer's "love of inherently sad, gay disco anthems" [source].  As someone who unabashedly loves Bronski Beat's "Smalltown Boy", I think I can get with that.  I was a big fan of Robyn's last (self-titled) album a couple years back, and her newest release: Body Talk pt. 1 is due out June 15th.  Speaking of things I can't wait for: Hercules and Love Affair supposedly have a new album coming soon (!?), I need more information on this.  Like, now.  Disco summer.  Complete with a hopefully guilty pleasure indulgent Kylie Minogue track or four.  And a shockingly promising looking Kelis album (BTW: Kelis and Robyn are touring together).  Also, have you listened to Janelle Monae's ArchAndroid yet?  No?  What the hell is wrong with you?  I'm still spinning Caribou's album Swim on a loop, too, I'll have you know. 


Robyn 'Dancing On My Own' (Official Video) from Robyn on Vimeo.

Numero 2: You've likely already heard that Megan Fox will not be in Transformers 3.  For some reason, this news was all the rage yesterday, though I honestly have no idea why.  I've advocated for Fox in the past, and pretty much totally opposed to the continuation of Michael Bay's robot soldier franchise, so when it comes to speculating about whether or not this is a 'good' or 'bad' career move for her I have to lean towards the former.  Transformers is miserable, people, and Michael Bay is indeed some sort of testosterone-pumped hack.  If I were Fox, the more distance I could put between those films and my career, the better I would be.  Past that: Transformers doesn't need Fox's character.  She was there as an objectified sex symbol shell, not much else.  Why was I posting this?  Oh, yeah.  So, apparently, while news first broke that Fox had been "fired" from the Paramount film (supposedly relating to her badmouthing of Bay as "tyrant" last year), it would seem that the claims from her camp that she quit in an attempt to avoid ill-treatment at the hands of said "tyrant" might be more credible than not.  The reason?  /Film claims Deadline broke the story, and that there may be some buddy buddy relationships between Paramount higher ups and famed blogger Nikki Fenke.  Doesn't this feel so gossipy?  I think it feels gossipy.  Either way, Transformers were way better as toys, guys.


3: In a brilliant stroke of viral marketing, SNL film MacGruber has launched a Tumblr dedicated to deriding the film it unfortunately shares a release date with: Shrek Forever After.  Leading me to a segment I like to call: Really?  With me, myself, and I.  Really?  No one's thought of this before?  Really?  No, seriously.  It's great.  I mean, what's with Shrek anyway?  Are people really still interested?  Do kids like these movies anymore?  I mean, the third one was too melodramatic for kids and too boring for adults.  This one just looks excruciatingly, awkwardly painful.  Also, is there a reason why the animation doesn't appear to have improved over a span of nearly a decade?  Mike Myers, I love you, no more sequels, no more fart jokes.  No more. You're better than that.  You're Wayne Campbell.

You know what?  Bonus: Slow Loris!

1 comment:

  1. no, fucking seriously, new robyn is one of the greatest things about this year.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails