Monday, December 21, 2009

Review: Avatar

I wasn't buying into the nearly two years of hype leading up to James Cameron's blockbuster effects blitz Avatar. While I was admittedly intrigued by all the discussion of revolutionizing cinema and the early buzz claiming Cameron's work was a shoo-in when it came to being remembered as one of the greatest films ever made, i did my best to remain cynical. It was surprisingly easy. When the early pictures of the Na'Vi were released, i thought they were a joke. With the first trailers, my pessimism was sealed with a George Lucas kiss off. Giant, hulking, bright blue cat people? Pshaw. You needed to be insane, i thought, to look at those first glances as anything but a horrendous waste of Hollywood cash. I mean, cartoonish creatures running about a lame looking forest planet? Here we go, i thought, Smurfy tribal Gungans to sell some action figures to the same bunch of kids who think Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel is a work of genius.

Of course, I'm not one to pass on a major spectacle, or a major science fiction film. I couldn't really pretend i wasn't going to see it, in 3D no less. At the very least i hoped to finally see a theatrical movie this season i could trash a little bit. So, I kept quiet and didn't get my hopes up. As i went about not expecting much in the weeks and days leading up to Avatar's release, I was just a tad surprised when critical feedback was mostly positive. Ok, i thought, maybe i can be a little excited about this. The information increased and my own excitement mounted. And then, you know, i saw it....

Finish this review @...



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails