Saturday, September 5, 2009

Novelty Treats: Bangarang


You've probably seen Pogo's sound & vision collages before, even if you never thought to look further. His song "Alice" surfaced on Youtube a couple years back, and mixed sampled sound snippets from Disney's Alice in Wonderland to create something wholly hypnotic. I've seen "Alice" dozens of times, and have stumbled across it on numerous occasions, but for some reason, i only just realized that "Alice" was merely the first in a series of artfully rendered pieces. Pogo's compositions are strikingly beautiful plays upon nostalgia and innocence. For me, it's as if he dug through my basement and re-edited all the VHS tapes i watched in a loop as a child so that in mere minutes the entire emotional impact of the films and the stories they're based upon resonates in a way that's as unexpected as it is welcome. Like Gang Gang Dance, but with a feeling of warm familiarity. It's like the internet tucking you into bed with a mug of hot chocolate.

1 comment:

  1. Oh i LOVE these! They're so whimsical and magical. You're description is spot on.
    I've been in love with the "Alice" piece ever since I heard/saw it, but I never realised there were more! Thanks so much for sharing :)
    I love the mary poppins one best >.<

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails