Friday, August 14, 2009

XOXO Sonic Youth

Entertainment Weekly is reporting that New York underground-mainstays Sonic Youth will be doing an acousitc guest spot five episodes into season 3 of Gossip Girl. They'll be performing their 1986 track "Starpower" and show producer Stephanie Savage is having an OMFG spaz attack. Savage apparently happened, on a routine Google search, to read a blog entry that claimed one of her favorite bands had been using GG footage in the background during performances of "Psychic Hearts". Her response was as follows: "Whaaaat? Oh my God. I hope they’re not making fun of us! I hope it was a cool, edgy homage!’ And it turned out that it was — tongue in cheek for sure, but definitely with love, and that they were fans of the show.”

Hmmm. So Gossip Girl fandom runs deep, even to Kim Gordon and Thurston Moore's television set. Granted, the two do have a teenage daughter, but I'm still not quite sure how i feel about this. What's the context going to be? Any diehard Sonic Youth fans out there want to weigh in? Is this a sellout move for a band whose roots lie deep in subculture? Also, can we talk about how fantastic this shot (from Elle) of Ed Westwick and Leighton Meester is?




1 comment:

  1. I was a hardcore Sonic Youth fan back at school!!! I still like the song "starpower" :). Hmmm, I'm not sure where I stand on this though, as I've never watched Gossip Girl!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails