Friday, August 28, 2009

Natalie Portman, We Could Probably Hang Out.


So, Natalie Portman is one of those actresses (like Scarlett Johansson) who i've grown accustomed to feeling disappointed about in cinematic roles while otherwise liking well enough. She has a tendency to seemingly over think things and play parts with little or no emotion at a rate of about 3 out of 5 of the movies she stars in. Not just Padmé Amidala. Typically, my argument is that she was more keyed in to her profession at age 12, and post-grad from Harvard, she should possibly consider branching her career options further away from Hollywood. But, you know, critical uncertainty and "meh" movies like Other Boleyn Girl aside, i think Natalie Portman is probably pretty cool. Like, we could hang out and stuff and she could proof my paper for panel discussion. This is, of course, all stemming from that unsettling way we have of "knowing celebrities" without knowing them at all. Something which we all suffer from, and which magazine interviews exploit mercilessly. Which brings me to what i'm really getting at, which is: Natalie Portman's interview in the September issue of Interview only furthers the belief of everyone who has attended college with any modicum of seriousness that they too could be BFF with Natalie Portman. Jake Gyllenhaal conducts the interview, and while he too reveals a certain geekiness, i'm not as sold on him. There's just something about the way he keeps talking about the "wonderful" things Portman has done that reminds me of the way my father always said all actors are capable of doing is patting each other on the back...moving on. Read as Portman discusses 80's toys, planetariums, Carvel ice cream cake, and how she pitches a giggle fit at dirty rap lyrics.

"GYLLENHAAL: So, then, let me ask you this: If you could get into a time machine, to what place and period would you travel?

PORTMAN: Well, right now, I’m very fascinated with 1920s Berlin. I mean, probably the more interesting thing would be to go to the beginning of civilization or precivilization—like polytheistic times. It would be interesting to see what came before modern religion and culture—what circumstances created the environment or the need for it. I actually felt like I was in a time machine last week when I went with Jay-Z to the Laserium in Los Angeles (click here to learn more about the Laserium). Have you been there?

GYLLENHAAL: Is that the laser show that was at the Griffith Observatory?

PORTMAN: There’s a new one now at Hollywood and Vine. I think it’s the one that was at the observatory and it moved down there. But, dude, watching this display is like you’re in the ’70s. There were all these lasers, and out of the lasers, this man emerged with a noose. The lights were just going up and down, and side to side . . . It was like a Zeppelin show. You could just see how these lasers were once the peak of technology and why everyone was so stoked about them."

[Source]

Or,

"PORTMAN: My current state . . . I’m trying to think of a song that feels like sleepwalking. [laughs] I don’t know. I’ve mostly been listening to dirty rap lately. That’s sort of my scene.

GYLLENHAAL: Your affection for dirty rap is something that people really don’t know about you, which I think is fascinating. You do incredible things for the world, and then you listen to just completely obscene hip-hop music.

PORTMAN: Really, really obscene hip-hop. I love it so much. It makes me laugh and then it makes me want to dance. Those are like my two favorite things, so combined . . . I’ve been listening a lot lately to “Wait (The Whisper Song)” by the Ying Yang Twins, where the lyrics are like, “Wait ’til you see my dick”—which is just amazing because it’s whispered. [whispers] “Wait ’til you see my dick . . . ” [laughs] Crazy. So I just listen to it like I’m a five-year-old, like, “Oh my god! I can’t believe he just said that!”

GYLLENHAAL: It’s interesting that you think the lyric “Wait ’til you see my dick” describes your current state. I think people are learning more about you right now then they ever have in an interview. I’m proud of that." [Source]

Really, you knew this had to come from somewhere:
Don't be surprised, either. It's a well kept secret outside of academia that the only form of music generally agreed upon by academics (particularly in creative/literary fields) is hip-hop and gangster rap. True story.

1 comment:

  1. I read this too and was reminded why she's one of my favorite girl crushes.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails