Saturday, February 7, 2009

Back in the Day #1: Harvey Danger

Paranoia, paranoia, everybody's coming to get me...

I remember the first time i heard this song. It was about 5 in the morning, MTV still played videos, and i was dazed and staring blankly at the cabin television set as Froot Loops and milk dribbled from my mouth. I was thirteen years old, and preparing to hike with my then nature-crazed parents across roughly thirteen miles of Rocky Mountain trail on this, my family's masochistic idea of 'vacation'. And yet, the early mornings, painful blisters, power bar binges, and neon rain ponchos were far better than being back home and in middle school. Needless to say, Harvey Danger's outsider angst spoke to me. I enjoyed the lyrics, the tragically hip 90's crowds, the way the band just didn't quite fit in any of the scenes. I became a girl possessed. My waking hours within the cabin walls were spent waiting for MTV to just play the video again. Or, to even just run the quick 30-second trailer for Disturbing Behavior (in which the track was featured) so i could hear any piece of this mystery song.

I didn't see the video again until the dawn of youtube. This is true, and part of why i was disenchanted by MTV long before my parents finally gave in to cable. But "Flagpole Sitta" has, is one form or another, been a constant and necessary part of my music library since the day i taped it off Q101.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails