Saturday, January 10, 2009

Oh, Kanye...
















Everyone's talking about Kanye West's cover story in February's Vibe magazine.

You know, the one where he says he plans on posing naked within the next few years and that what he actually wants is fewer fans (well, a core of devoted fans and none of these sycophantic cool-mongers)...like Bjork.

"I made a decision. I wanna make popular music, but I want less fans," he told writer Sean Fennessey when asked if he was comfortable with fame. "I want the freedom of having less fans. It's like the freedom of having less money. If you have less money, you have less responsibility. It's like Björk. If she wanted to pose naked, you'd be like, 'Oh, that's Björk.' But if I wanted to pose naked, people would draw all type of things into it. I definitely feel like, in the next however many years, if I work out for two months, that I'll pose naked. I break every rule and mentality of hip-hop, of black culture, of American culture." (Source)

I get it...but i'm not sure i buy it. Is posing naked breaking the rules of hip-hop? Also, does Kanye really want fewer fans? I mean, i've seen the man's ecstatic, exclamation point happy blog entries every time his song gets bumped a place up the charts. Hmmm.

He's also put some consideration into where he stands in the current pop cultural spectrum:

"I believe Beyoncé is the greatest performer of our generation," he offered. "I believe I am the greatest entertainer of this generation. I go neck-and-neck on Jay-Z and [Lil] Wayne as far as who's the best lyricist. Jay-Z has longevity."

Wait, where's JT? Remember back in 2007 when he said "My biggest inspiration and biggest competition is Justin Timberlake... I look at me and Justin like Prince and Michael Jackson in their day." (Source)

Interesting. This sounds suspiciously like the thoughts that go through my head when i have delusions of grandeur. Because, you know, in my literary life i will be the greatest writer of our times. I mean, JK Rowling is just about spent and she's not in my field anyway. I go neck-and-neck with Jhumpa Lahiri and make Miranda July look like child's play. Stephanie Meyer is a joke and forget David Sedaris, he's really just a stand-up comedian.

Narcissists of the world unite.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails