Sunday, November 9, 2008

Guilty Pleasures: 25 Movies Part II


The Next Episode, 500 Years later. Apparently, I'm more of a slacker than i knew.

11. Teknolust- Cyberpunk and Tilda Swinton in 4 roles (as scientist Rosetta Stone, and as her 3 cyborg creations). Of course i couldn't look away. Even though it was ridiculous and a fairly unsatisfying film. But, Tilda Swinton! And weird business! And clone-y robot-y seduction!



12. Funny Girl - Oy, speaking of guilt. I blame my mother for indoctrinating me into my strange love for this Streisand-vehicle. It's insanely long and becomes slower and more depressing after the first 30 minutes...and yet i'm pretty sure i've seen it at least 5 times. It's a trick, i swear. Every time i think the ending isn't as awful as it is, and i'm wrong. There is no happy ending. This isn't one of those happy-go-lucky musicals. But it does have "Don't rain on my Parade"...and so does my ipod. In fact, i can start singing "I'm the Greatest Star" for your RIGHT NOW. Alright, my street cred just went completely down the shitter...but it's a classic.
Here's a great scene with heavy emphasis on the 'bridge tipper'



13. Underworld - Vampires vs. werewolves. A whole lot of leather (also a bunch of PVC). More Matrix-esque effects than should be allowed. I hate the sequel, for the record, but this first one was fabulous.

14. Music & Lyrics - An 80's nostalgia rom com with nothing particularly special about it except for Hugh Grant does a lot of singing and dancing (of surprisingly authentic sounding pop songs). That's all it takes, ladies and gentlemen. That's all it takes. See below.



15. Labyrinth - At first, i wasn't going to consider this a "guilty" pleasure. But then i kind of revisited and thought "wow, yeah, i guess a lot of people might disagree with that...". So here it is. Lord how i love this. Insanely cheesy dialogue, muppets, Bowie, Escher sets, more Bowie, Jennifer Connelly's eyebrows, unnecessary crotch shots of Bowie's area. What's with those pants, man? Or are they leggings? Goblin King, Goblin King, TAKE ME! Please?

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to comment here, so delete me if you must. I appreciate your comment on my earlier diatribe against he who shall not be named until 20 years from now when he gets into seventh grade text books. I do believe that "Funny Girl" should command more respect, if only for the excessive amount of bridge tipper screen time.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails